Friday, June 10, 2011

June Recipe of the month

I got this recipe from my friend, Kirsten, who I met at the gluten free family weekend at NJY Camp. She has a gluten free blog too! http://whattofeedyourkids.blogspot.com

GFCF Chocolate Chip Cookies


I think yummy, homemade gluten free/dairy free treats make going gluten/casein free a lot less of a "diet" and more of a lifestyle change. These are based on a recipe in my FAVORITE gluten free cookbook by Annalise Roberts, Gluten Free Baking Classics.

1 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Shortening (Whole Foods has this)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon organic gluten free vanilla extract
2 cups plus 2 Tablespoons Brown Rice Flour Mix (see below)
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthum gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 ounces Enjoy Life gluten, dairy and soy free chocolate chips

1.Heat oven to 375 degrees. I use teflon sheet or you can spray cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. Beat shortening and sugar with electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
3. Add flour, baking soda, xanthum gum and salt. Mix at medium speed until well blended.
4. Drop tablespoon of dough onto cookie sheet 2 inches apart. Bake in center of oven for 8-10 minutes until light golden brown.

ALSO...I grind up cashews in a coffee grinder to make cashew flour. Then I mix 2 parts cookie dough with 1 part cashew flour to add some protein.

Brown Rice Flour Mix

6 cups brown rice flour (extra finely ground)
2 cups potato starch
1 cup tapioca flour
2 cups sorghum flour (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment