Friday, January 4, 2013

January Recipe of the Month

My husband loves scones. Especially the ones from Starbucks. He likes to stop there in the morning a get one with a coffee if he has time. Want to get on his good side? Buy him a Starbucks gift card. Recently, he asked me to make him a particular flavor of scones, cranberry orange. Now, I don't cook ANYTHING that I can eat. I'm not going to enjoy it so I don't waste my time. So, below is an excellent scone recipe that I found from Lemon Drop Foodie and my husband approves. He liked them so much, I had to make a second batch.

INGREDIENTS:
Dry Ingredients:
2 cups gluten-free flour blend ( I used Bob's Red Mill All-purpose flour first and then later tried Cup 4 Cup - both were good)
1/4 cup granulated sugar (Organic sugar or powdered stevia works)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xantham gum if not already added to your GF flour blend
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced (I used Earth Balance Soy-free)

Wet Ingredients:
1 large egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons of whipping cream ( I used coconut cream)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
zest of one orange (medium size)

1/2 cup dried cranberries (opt for ones sweetened with apple juice but Craisins were what I had on hand so thats what went in the first batch)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 425F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat (which is what I used).
IN LARGE BOWL, whisk together first 5 ingredients and xantham gum if using
USING A FORK, cut butter with a fork into dried ingredients until pea-size consistency
IN MEDIUM BOWL, whisk together all wet ingredients including cranberries
USING A FORK,  gently mix wet ingredients into dry until combined. Do not overmix
PLACE dough onto prepared cookie sheet and pat into a circle about 1inch high. Seems odd I know but separating them now is way too much work. 
**The original recipe calls for cutting them into triangles after patting out the circle. The dough kept sticking to my knife so I waited until they were baked and cooling. However, its up to you.BAKE for 12-15 minutes or until edges are slightly browned and toothpick inserted into scone comes out clean
REMOVE from oven and place sheet onto cooling rack.  Let cool to room temperature then cut into triangles
ENJOY especially with a cup of tea or coffee. Then refrigerate to keep fresh (if they last that long).



No comments:

Post a Comment