Sunday, June 9, 2013

June recipe of the month

Did I ever tell you that it wasn't until I was almost 20 that I had my first salad? Easing into to eating them was the key, I suppose, and by easing into eating them I mean making sure they had enough dressing on them. Besides Italian dressing, Caesar dressing was my favorite. It has taken me multiple attempts but, I finally perfected my Caesar dressing. I feel it has the right amount of tang yet enough creaminess to make it smooth and satisfying. The key is making sure you have a high quality olive oil. A cheap one will ruin it so look for a brand in a dark green glass bottle.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 ounces of Parmesan cheese (I use aged Manchego because I am allergic to dairy)
  • 1 teaspoon of anchovy paste
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tablespoon mayo (Spectrum makes a good canola Mayo)
  • ground black pepper (to taste)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt (can be omitted for those with blood pressure issues)
In a food processor or blender, whisk the olive oil and garlic together. Let it sit for 30 minutes to an hour to let the garlic permeate the oil.
Add anchovies and eggs to the oil-garlic mixture and blend until creamy. Add the lemon juice and pepper (and salt if you chose) then blend and add cheese (Parmesan or Manchego, etc.). You may want to taste it to see how you like it so far. Then add the mayo and mustard and blend once more.
Spoon over romaine lettuce with croutons and chicken and top with more cheese if you choose!

Enjoy!

p.s.- want to know a fast way to make croutons? Toast gluten-free piece of toast and shred it into bite sized pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment