Thursday, October 13, 2011

Got food allergies?

Having to be on a gluten-free diet can be tough. If you're like me though, having multiple food allergies can be a daily struggle. When I was first diagnosed and my sisters went through testing, we discovered my older sister has an allergy to eggs as well. In my parents home, that eliminates 4 major food items. Soy is found in 60% of packaged food in the United States. That leaves 40% to be made with gluten, dairy, or soy. It has taken me (and my family) awhile to adopt to not only avoiding gluten but our other allergies.  That's why when I found Allergy Chefs, Inc., I was incredibly excited.
Joel and Mary Schaefer have 40 years of combined experience in the food industry  This website is a great resource for people with multiple allergies. They have mastered the technique of avoiding using the top 8 food allergens in their cooking. Not only are the recipes nutritious and well balanced, they are absolutely delicious as well!

 Check out their sweet potato pancakes. Of course, I substitute the soy milk with almond milk!

Interesting fact about Chef Joel? He specializes in culinary education and product development for food allergies and special diets was the Culinary Development and Special Dietary Needs Manager at Walt Disney World.  In that role, he spearheaded Disney World’s food allergy initiatives, ensuring that all of their restaurants could better accommodate food-allergic guests at the park.  Throughout his career, from Disney to his current position at Allergy Chefs, Chef Joel has made it his mission to educate the food service industry about food allergies.

1 comment: