Saturday, October 1, 2011

October Recipe of the Month

As soon as the first day of fall arrived, my husband practically dove into our basement storage area to pull out the decorations. I have to admit, I like the way they look with our furniture but I still prefer summer if I had to pick a season. He even dragged me to the fall decorations in Target the last time we were there shopping. The picture to the left is a wonderful decoration my husband and I picked up at the Arctic Bazaar.
The next item that my husband always asks for is Pumpkin Muffins. When I made this back in Georgia, my little sister thought they were like manna from heaven. My mother, older sister, and I would be lucky if they last more than two days. I even caught her one time taking a bunch to school to stash them in her locker there! I can't blame her though - in our family, once you find something you like (and you're not allergic too) it goes quickly!

My sisters and I a few years ago in Georgia.
So, for October, the recipe I love is from Elana Amsterdam of Elana's Pantry www.elanaspantry.com. I roast a small pumpkin to make this recipe and I just love the pumpkin smell! It reminds me of taking my sisters to the pumpkin patch to pick out our gourds for carving! Canned pumpkin works just as well though.

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Muffins
1 ½ cups blanched almond flour (not Bob's Red Mill)
¼ teaspoon celtic sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 pinch ground cloves
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
½ cup agave nectar
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh baked pumpkin (or winter squash), well packed 
Directions
  1. In a large bowl combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves
  2. In a mixer puree oil, agave, eggs and pumpkin until smooth
  3. Stir wet ingredients into dry
  4. Place paper liners in muffin pan
  5. Scoop batter into paper liners
  6. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes
  7. Cool for 2-3 hours
  8. Serve - Makes 8 muffins

1 comment: