Friday, April 8, 2011

April Recipe of the month

When I first learned I had Celiac disease, bread was something I craved desperately. Before I found Udi's bread, I stumbled upon Elana Amsterdam’s website during my search for an easy to make bread and she has since become my favorite gluten-free baker. She recently sent me copies of her new recipe book and I have enjoyed practicing her art - for sure truly is an artist. She has mastered making a gluten-free lifestyle something tasty and healthy! All of her recipes call for Almond flour and she does not use butter or refined sugar. Here is the easiest (and most delicious) sweet bread recipe I’ve ever found. Its so good, my non-gluten-free friends never knew the difference when I made it for them. It scores bonus points for being low carb, high fiber, high calcium, (a nutrient easily missed when you are dairy-free as well) and high in  protein. It is also so moist and tasty, it could double as a birthday cake if you add some chocolate chips in the mix and little icing on top after it cools . . .

Gluten Free Banana Bread (or Cake)
3 cups blanched almond flour
½ teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup agave nectar
¼ cup grapeseed oil
3 eggs, whisked
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 over ripe bananas (about one cup) mashed
  1. In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, salt and baking soda
  2. In a smaller bowl, combine agave, grapeseed oil, eggs and vanilla, then stir in bananas
  3. Mix wet ingredients into dry*
  4. Place batter in either a cake pan or two small loaf pans
  5. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes
  6. Remove from oven and allow to cool
Note: DO NOT use Bob’s Red Mill Almond flour.
* For the birthday cake version - add some chocolate chips after step 3

No comments:

Post a Comment