Saturday, March 24, 2012

Town Hall meeting with Senator Giessel

When I heard that Senator Giessel was holding a town hall meeting for her constituents, I knew I had to be there. She has worked so hard on pushing my resolution, SCR 16, through the Senate committee and floor. She gave an amazing speech (see previous blog post for video) and has rallied an amazing amount of support. For those who are just joining my blog, SCR 16 recognizes May as National Celiac Disease Awareness Month in Alaska.Here is a copy of page 1 of the resolution:
The resolution has passed in the Senate and will be heard in a house committee next week. Hopefully, after the committee accepts it, they will move it to the House floor and it will finally become official. I had never been to an official town hall meeting held by senators and house members so, I was very curious to see what it was all about as well as show my support for Senator Giessel. When I arrived, there was already a crowd. Senators Giessel, Dyson, and Huggins as well as House Representatives Saddler, Stotlz and Fairclough were seated at the front of the crowd. I listened intently as each person who had signed in were called on to share their opinions and concerns for different issues that effected our community.
It was really interesting to hear everyone's point of view. I was given time to talk as well and I let everyone in attendance know what was important regarding this piece of legislation. Senator Giessel informed the crowd about what Celiac Disease is exactly and how it effects a person. She also told them what we were hoping to achieve with recognizing May as National Celiac Disease Awareness Month. I am so proud to have her as my Senator.

Afterwards, I was able to have my picture made with her and some of the other politicians. I spoke with the House Representatives after the meeting as well, and talked more specifically to them about Celiac Disease and why this resolution was so important to me. I discovered Rep. Saddler has a son with autism and I informed him of how 30% of children with autism benefit from a gluten-free, casein-free diet. He said that he had heard that before and I could count on his support of SCR 16 when it came up for vote. 
All and all, it was a very exciting day and I am really looking forward to watching SCR 16 move its way through the house! Stayed tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment