Monday, July 16, 2012

Celiac Disease Foundation Insight Newsletter, Spring 2012

Every quarter, the Celiac Disease Foundation (CDF) publishes a newsletter with updates on their organization. They also feature new products on the market, updates on the progress of Celiac Awareness, as well as introduce movers and shakers in the Celiac field, the latest in medical research on Celiac Disease, and much more! If you don't subscribe to the newsletter, then I recommend that you do because I always find something useful in it.
This issue was particularly exciting because I made the front cover and page 3! The newsletter began with some highlights of the education conference. If you were not able to make it this year, try to make it for the next one - I will post the info on it as soon as it is available. It was extremely educational, well-organized, and had lots of vendors with new products for all the visitors.






This newsletter was also extremely helpful to me because I have recently been very ill and struggling with pain immediately after I eat. I had blood tests run and the only thing that was off was my eosinophil count. My physician had no clue what it meant other than I must have had an allergy to something I eat. I was told to avoid the trigger but my only guess as to what the trigger is would be refined sugar which is an inflammatory food. Then I got my issue of CDF Insights and while I was flipping through it saw that it featured a new research article that found a link between Celiac Disease and Eosinophilic Esophagitis. It occurs more often in the Celiac population than the general population and should be kept in mind when persistent esophageal pain is persistent. Even as a nurse practitioner, I still find that it is difficult to get medical professionals who are unfamiliar with Celiac Disease to understand. That's why its important to educate yourself and advocate for yourself in the physician's office. CDF Insights helps me do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment