Saturday, August 18, 2012

August Recipe of the month

Since my product of the month is going to be something yummy but high in calories, I wanted to pick a recipe that may counter/compliment it.
August, in most places, is the warmest month of the year. Alaska will always keep you guessing though. I think our warmest day this year was in July. It was a perfect 80 degrees with a slight breeze. I remember because I was at a street fair downtown and my friends and I stopped at a chocolate/coffee shop down one of the side streets to have an iced drink. There were 4 chairs right outside the shop and we all sat down and it became one of those blissfully perfect moments that I wanted to remember forever. Four beautiful ladies, enjoying a cold drink on a beautiful warm day filled with laughter. I even found a gorgeous pair of earrings at the fair.
Now, this memory also takes me back to another sunny afternoon a few years ago with my mom in Georgia. I was experimenting with new healthy recipes after our diagnosis and came across this yummy salad at Simply Recipes. I made this meal and we sat on the porch to eat it. Another good memory. Hopefully, this salad brings you good memories too.

Its gluten-free and dairy-free and has some good omegas and fiber as well.  Serves 4.

Chicken Apple Arugula Goat Cheese Salad

  • Olive oil (look for olive oil in a dark glass container - that's usually the best quality)
  • 1 large shallot, peeled and sliced
  • 1.5 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast, cooked and cut up
  • 1 tart green apple, sliced thinly (I like granny smith apples)
  • Baby arugula leaves - about 4 cups
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup goat cheese (I used a goat cheese feta)
  • lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste

I usually already have the chicken boiled when I start to build the salad. I am weird about grill marks and frying isn't the most healthy way so, I will leave it up to you to cook it the way your want. Set aside the chick to cool.
Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and place on medium heat. Lightly saute the shallots until they turn translucent in color. Remove from pan.
Place arugula in a large bowl and toss with shallots, cooled chicken, and sliced green apples. Dress with olive oil and lemon juice. Place into four bowls and top with walnuts and goat cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.

I have also used spinach for this salad and that worked well. Good source of iron too! :)

Original recipe found here

No comments:

Post a Comment